There is often a misperception that Aboriginal culture can only be experienced in remote areas of Australia when in fact there are many rich cultural experiences to be had right here in Tasmania! Here are some ideas to get you started:
Cultural Awareness & Immersion Experiences
- Join a walking tour in nipaluna (Hobart) with Black Led Tours
- Travel on country. Experience absolute cultural immersion by joining the Wukalina Walk in far North East Tasmania.
- Keep an eye on what’s happening at Nayri Niarai, an Aboriginal owned social enterprise housed at the LongHouse in nipaluna/Hobart.
Dance, Theatre & Music
- Appreciate dance by watching a performance by Bangarra
- If visiting Naarm (Melbourne), go see a play at the Ilbijerri theatre
- Listen to Aboriginal musicians. Check out the Wikipedia page for Aboriginal musicians, and take a look at the Songlines website. You can also directly support Aboriginal music labels such as Skinny Fish, Wantok Musik, CAAMA Music and Deadly Records. Explore the Black Australia playlist on Spotify to get a broad taste of great Aboriginal musicians.
- Enjoy festivals and other events. Both the Tourism Australia and Songlines websites provide good starting points for festivals, in Tasmania and nationally.